Monday, March 23, 2015

You will Give Your Time to what you Value


I hate pain. I especially hate it when I’m running. Whether it’s shin splints or muscle strain or side stitch, it slows me down. It also makes me think the worst. That my side is going to split open if I take another step, or my leg muscle will be injured for life if I keep going. Now sometimes, pain is an indicator that something’s off, and may need to be addressed. I’m not really talking about that. I’m talking about the pain that’s just part of running….or just part of life. There’s a certain amount of “rub” that happens when we’re apart of fellowship containing PEOPLE. It’s called “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Pr. 27:17) It’s unavoidable. God made us all different and then tells us to love one another as we would our self. God has a great sense of humor! But sometimes, when that conflict arises, instead of pushing through or asking our self if this particular pain is just apart of the “run”, we flee. Whether it’s to stop the pain or save face, that’s our tendency.


Specifically speaking to the marriage relationship, have you experienced this? What are some trigger points that do that to you?  Have you prayed about them? Have you discussed them with anyone? Discussed them with your spouse?
Sometimes I ask people that and they say, "No, when would I have the time for that? We never see each other!" Electronics aren't the only things that need to be plugged in to "sink" to another device. Our marriage needs it as well. Electronics have clear signs indicating when they need to be sinked, however, our relationships may not. 

Regular date nights or just special carved out time for one another gives you the freedom and the space to discuss heart issues like the ones above. Our marriage relationship is a living, breathing organism with its unique hurts, pains, joys, expectations, pressures and so on. It's crucial to nourish it with the time, love, and conversation it needs to flourish.
So when's your next date night?? How do you carve out time for your spouse? Let me know! Post your ways and encourage someone today!
Putting it In Our Own Words,
~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment