Friday, September 5, 2014

Scenic Road Not Taken

Today I took a route I’ve never run before. Unlike the straight way I usually take with its inspiring sunrises over pastures, this road curved back and forth, which made me scoot over for traffic, jump over a tree branch and pray away the ferocious sounding dogs barking at me. It was darker than the other route, for trees canopied over the road on all sides. Add to that a sneeky hill that about killed me on the way out. You can tell I had a great attitude! When I finally came to where my usual road feeds in, I looked to my left and behold, an electrifying sunset met my glance. I just dropped my shoulders and prayed, “Lord, look how beautiful it is over there! Why didn’t I take THAT route today?” To which I felt a gentle whisper say, “My child, you don’t always get to take the scenic route. Through it all, I’m still with you.”

How many times have I looked at the life of a friend and thought, “Man, they’ve got it made!” or “I wish I could home school like them.” If, if, if, and what if! Then there’s the why’s. “Why can’t we go that way, Lord? Why does this road have to be so hard and have so much traffic? The path is smoother over there and the sun is shinning.” To which the Lord can respond, “Yes, it is, but that’s not YOUR path. Maybe I have something for you to learn in these potholes, traffic, hills and barking dogs.”

Another dark zone for me is  the fear factor. FEAR of the unknown. What happens if….. what about…and don’t forget….My husband spells out fear this way: False Evidence Appearing Real. Ever experience that? My mind can place me in unrealistic situations so fast that I believe I’m there and then I’m afraid. Then I look around to see who noticed me leave reality or ask me what I’m thinking about. But in the face of all that, God tells me and you to “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze…Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you…” (Isaiah 43:1-3a,4.)

Can you believe He loves us THAT much?! He says, “You, (place your name) are MINE!” God, in His love and great mercy will see us through the windy, dark, scary paths of life. In time, if we let Him, His light will burn away our darkness and we will be left with a beautiful intimacy with our Savior that shines brighter than a sunrise over the pastures!



No comments:

Post a Comment