Monday, February 11, 2013

Frequent SLUG Sightings

   I'm not exactly sure when or how it started, but for a couple YEARS now my children have had this "thing" where they make a very loud interjection when we see something on the road. It could come at any moment... in the middle of a conversation, or song, or even silence a raging fit (yes, we do have those). Any guesses? It's the sound of "SLUG BUG!" Which is usually followed with "Ahhh, where? Is it parked?" or "I saw it first, just didn't say anything!" All at once whatever control I had over the air pressure in the car just combusted into a noise bomb and there's no turning back!

    This incident makes me smile and so I had to write it down on my favorite quote list, but honestly had no idea how to link this quirk to a deeper spiritual meaning. That is, until I read through the Psalms this morning. The thought hit me, or rather, God whispered to me, "What if you pointed out all the blessings I give you like they point out 'SLUG BUG?'" Ohhhh. Yes, maybe I wouldn't wait for just the right time or wonder if my audience will appreciate it and just burst out, "Guess what God did for me today!" Actually, He doesn't even have to DO anything. He already finished it all, we just get daily glimpses or reminders of His glory each day. Why am I so timid to share that? My kids aren't!

    Maybe our praise could silence the criticism and judgments that seems to mark our Christianity  If our mouths were continually filled with His praise, there would be less room for gossip and slander. If praise colored my world, I would see the evidences of God all around me instead of items NOT crossed off my list. I would see that my debt is paid and He is with me even in the hurt, the pain and the "hill of difficulty" that I climb.

Ps 52:9 
"I will praise you forever for what 
you have done;
in your name I will hope, for
your name is good.
I will praise you in the presence of 
your saints."

   In an ecosystem of praise, discord, slander and gossip cannot dwell together! The very nature of Praise will uproot all vines and parasites our flesh naturally grows. The Word also tells us in Ps 34:2 that our praises can lift even the afflicted and help them rejoice too! Our fertile soil naturally grows and spreads and can affect the soils around us. 

   Here's a challenge: Read through a Psalm (or multiple ones) and count the ways the Psalmist calls us to Praise. Then go and do one TODAY. 

   Remember, the next time you see a "SLUG BUG!" remember what God has done for you!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I just returned from a visit with my parents. Even though Mom now has difficulties with simple tasks and thought patterns, not a conversation went by without her telling me that she is "so blessed..." What a testimony that praise and thankfulness are at the very core of her being.

    ReplyDelete