Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Grace and Truth

   With the dawn of the new day, it was obvious my plans for the day were going to have to take a back seat. After attempting some needed and routine morning chores, I decided that today we would read and work on school from the comfort of my couch. Every time I got up and tried to do more, my body just wouldn't let me! When lunch time rolled around, I reheated some mac-n-cheese and added in the last of the bacon. The smell of bacon always draws my kids in, so when they were assembled in the kitchen to receive their bowls, I said, "I'm sorry I'm not feeling good today. Thank you for letting me get some rest and playing so kindly on your own." To this they all smiled, but Zach said, "It's OK Mommy, we can just live on our own!" Laughing at his precious comment, I visualized what it would look like for a 3 year old to live on his own. It was be all fun and games until he needed a band aid!

   It reminded me though, how important motherhood is! God did not give us our children by mistake! I just heard some encouraging words from Sally Clarkson at her Mom Heart conference over the weekend. Since you can never have enough of those,  I thought I would pass along the encouragement...

   It's wonderful to be in a place among 800 women and hear speakers like Kat Lee say, "Moms are a big deal!" She reminded me that, "God doesn't want my credentials, He wants my commitment." We see that with His choosing of the disciples. We don't bring anything to the table, He works through us. Another speaker, Sarah Mae, who co-wrote a book with Sally Clarkson called Desperate, pointed out the fact that we are just clay. And clay doesn't mold itself. We don't expect our ball of play-dough to stand up and start making itself into animals and intricate sculptures. It takes a designer. In the same way, my children cannot mold them self either. Here's where my job as a mother comes in and my reliance on my Heavenly Father is exercised. He is the potter, we are the clay. We can inspire our children to be apart of God's story by building a strong relationship with them based on unconditional love and trust. We can tell and show them who God is and that He loves them and has a purpose for their life. Maybe God will use them one day like He used Daniel. How even the King wanted to know Daniel's God because of Daniel's faith! Maybe our daughters can be like Ester who took 3 days to pray before she approached the King's throne. Sally's daughter Sarah said, "All of us can be a hero or heroine in the story of God." Our culture shies away from this fact, but as mothers, we can boldly proclaim it!

   Some other words of wisdom from Sally herself... "Grace without truth is puff-ball. Truth without grace is legalism." And on the subject of discipline, "Law with love creates protection, but without love is legalism." She also said that we have a grid that we look at life through. That grid is shaped by our philosophies and biblical foundations. She says, without this grid in place, "we will by nature go the way of culture" - of the world, our friends, what our church or neighbors say. So what am I allowing into the grid of my mind? That is also likely to be the grid to my children's mind. What do they see when they look in my eyes? Can they see I believe Jesus? Can they see I love them? I remember as a small child the impact my mom had on me. Even before the age of remembrance, her great faith caused me to "want her Jesus in my heart". How we look at them, how we esteem them and our views of eternity have an impact! It's clearer than ever to me how important it is to lead my children and that God has called ME to that job. 

  That's why it's also important for us moms to fuel ourselves so that we have food to give our kids. If our cup is continually pouring out, eventually it runs dry. I was encouraged to search and find my source of encouragement and not let my cup run dry. A dry parched mother really doesn't do anyone good!  I have found much love and truthful encouragement in Sally Clarkson's WholeHeart ministry. I pray you find yours.

   Even though Zach is only 3 now, eventually he will move out on his own. What am I doing today that will influence and equip him for tomorrow and the next?

1 comment:

  1. I think of ICor 1:26-28 "...But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong..."
    Often the role of motherhood is trivialized in our society-- even viewed as "foolish" or "weak." Just what God uses to achieve His mighty ways!

    and thank you for esteeming me still

    ReplyDelete