Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dealing with the "Don't want to's"

   Zach went through a phase of not wanting to pick up his toys after playing with them or really doing anything else we asked! He would just look at me and say, "But Mommy, I just don't want to." Even though I appreciated his honesty, of course we have to do things we don't want to sometimes. This conversation caused me to look inward and examine my heart. I saw that I can do the same thing. Why is it that as a mother God works on my heart as I work on my child's heart!?

 "When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” Mark 16:1-3


    Who will roll the stone away? Was it even humanly possible to roll that stone away? Plus, it was under Roman guard; would they even allow these devoted women to enter? These questions perplexed the visitors, but did not inhibit their actions. They loved Jesus, and were still showing it. And Jesus blew them away in His response. When we go searching for Jesus, He never lets us down! Upon arriving at the tomb, they found the stone to be rolled away with a man clothed in something like lightening sitting on the stone. Fear grips the women, as it also did the fainted guards, but seeing their fear, the angel gives them hope, "Do not be afraid! The man you are looking for has risen! Just as He said He would! And now, GO - Go tell the disciples what I told you. Jesus will meet you in Galilee." (my own words of Mark 16:6-7)
  
 *** "But Mommy, I just don't want to."***   What if the angel's crazy and it's really a trick by the chief priests? What if no one believes me?

   What would've happened if the women had responded to their fear and fled? Probably the same thing that already happened! They just would've missed the blessing of being apart of the miracle! That's also what happens to us when we dismiss the Word of God - we miss being apart of the miracles! We think our way is better. God's not asking us to do something to puff up His self-esteem. He asks us because He loves us and because He has good things planned for us - and others. When we don't listen and obey Him, besides the consequences disobedience brings, He'll ask someone else! His plan will be accomplished! For some reason, He gave us the free-will to choose whether we're on board or not!

   Forgive your brother not 7 times, but 77 times (mat 18:21-22)... or EVERYTIME he sins against you. He  tells us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. And love those we live, work and play with as our self. (Mark 12:30-31) We are blessed when we follow these and watch God work miracles in and through us! He is the One who moves the stones away in our life. We have the privilege of being like Mary, who just wanted one more time with Jesus and came to bring spices to his body.  Zach had to learn to do what Mommy asked, even when he didn't want to, and when we surrender our "don't want to's", then, we can play apart of the eternal!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Ps 139:23-24


1 comment:

  1. Mary Magdalene is a favorite of mine, yet you gave me a new perspective of her faithfulness. Being a parent is when I, too, really began to better understand that loving, as ultimately God loves, but also as wise parents love, doesn't mean giving or getting everything we desire. Parents get the wonderous privilege of gaining insights on the love of our Heavenly Father. May we draw near, listen carefully, and follow with assurance of His perfect care for us.

    ReplyDelete