Wednesday, April 1, 2015

When you Find Yourself Waiting in Line...

Standing at the checkout line at my local grocery store, I realized I, again, picked the wrong line. Wrong line, that is, if my goal was speed. Right line, if I wanted to watch the crowd of people I passed in the isles now wave goodbye to their friends. 


As the lines around me moved people along like cattle drives, I sat there, waiting on a precious couple having trouble with the credit card machine. They swiped their card for the fourth time. This time, maybe, I thought, they’ll push the right buttons. After two trips around the counter to help the process, the cashier finally seized the prized receipt that had inched its way out, and handed it to the couple. Turning to me, the man said, “Now, it’s finally your turn to check out!”

As I stepped up to the long awaited counter and gave the sweet girl my card, she said “Thank you for being so patient. Some people aren’t.” Her face indicated how that made her feel. I said, “No problem. I figured gripping about it won’t make anything go any faster.” To that she nodded and shared a similar story about waiting with me. 

We had a delightful conversation while my grocery bill mounted. I shared with her that not every culture demands its rights to high-speed internet and wait free lines. Now, sure, we’d all rather not wait, but some people and cultures use it as a chance to build relationships, rather than burn them.

Years ago, Adam and I were enjoying a meal out when we struck up a conversation with our waitress. We asked if she liked her job and when was the best tipping crowd. That’s when she shared about the Sunday afternoon and Wednesday crowd. 

Thinking those would be the nicest bunch to serve; we waited for the smile to show up on her face and in her voice. Neither came. Instead, she informed us “That is the worst time to work. They grip, they are rude and they tip terribly, if at all.”

I don’t know if she was a Believer or not, but what she saw in those crowds definitely didn’t make her want Jesus. We couldn’t believe it. Why would Bible-believing Christians be disrespectful and rude to the person waiting on them at a restaurant? How will the gospel ever spread to all people? If we can’t even be kind to someone serving us, there’s no hope of offering them anything except an apology!

Somewhere along the dusty cattle-drawn, dirt-top roads and today’s pristine hot-rod, cement-decorated interstates, I fear at times, we’ve lost our ability to see another person for who they are. A Person. That checker and that waitress, underneath the sometimes crazy haircut, tattoos, blingy jewelry and whatever else they adorn themselves with is a person who puts their pants on one leg at a time. A person who has feelings, hopes, dreams, hurts and scars just like you and me. I bet they would greatly appreciate it if someone took the time to notice that. 

Who knows, maybe they’re looking for a friend or a better grocery store to shop at, a tire shop, or even better, a Savior. Maybe God, in His Sovereignty brought you to their table or their line for a purpose.

During Jesus’ earthly ministry, we see Him often take the long cut, in order to meet the needs of a specific person. He even traveled through “forbidden” territory to meet a woman at a well and offer her living water. She went back and told her friends, “I met someone who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” (John 4) Many came to believe.

When Jesus got word that his friend Lazarus was sick, He stayed in town two more days before setting off. Why? For several reasons, but one being there was no hurry, for as the Son of God, He had things under control.

The idea that Jesus was never in a hurry, yet always on time bewilders and stumps me. I can easily feel rushed by life’s fast pace.

Sometimes, it just takes me slowing down a notch at the grocery store line to pay attention to those around me. Rushing takes its toll. Usually that bill is handed to the people we HUFF past to in order to fulfill the more important things in life.


Thankfully, my Savior is a Friend of Sinners (Casting Crowns), have you met Him yet?

Putting it In Our Own Words,

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment