Saturday, April 4, 2015

When the Alarm Clock Fails

 Before turning out the lights to end the day, I had Adam set the alarm for 7 a.m. My parents are in town and my dad wanted to go jogging with me in the morning. Being able to hear the birds sing rather than dodging two way traffic is my preference, so getting out the earlier, the better. At 5:30 my body jolted up, peering through blurred, squinty eyes to see what time the clock said. “In case the alarm forgets to go off,” I thought, “I need to wake myself up.” I did it again at 6…and again at 6:30…finally at 6:45 I thought, “The alarm is set, just trust that it will work.” Sure enough at 7:00, the alarm rang!


Have you ever questioned something? Maybe something as small as if an alarm will work properly? I have. I’ve spent a whole year jolting in and out of fears, thinking there was something else I needed to do in conjunction with Jesus’ perfect covering to make me "good enough".

The moment fear hits your mind, adrenaline is signaled and dispersed throughout your body. Your complete chemical make-up is distorted at one fearful thought. Your heart pounds, your palms sweat, even your body temperature can alter, going from extreme cold in summer to hot in winter.
Fear. I was afraid my alarm wouldn’t go off – it’s done it before. I’ve set the stupid thing and pushed p.m. instead of a.m. or hit snooze automatically without it ever registering in my brain that I’m supposed to wake up!

What if that happens again…what if…what if…. Isn’t that how fear starts?

When I hear of Christians beheaded in the masses by radicals or Christian values slandered and trampled underfoot in the name of tolerance, my heart wants to fail. I want to give way to fear and allow it to take me in the shadows - into the comfort and controlled environment of my room. But I cannot. I must not. It’s for this very reason Jesus came. The victory those radicals think they have is a lie. In actuality, the opposition drives us closer into the arms of Christ, sometimes physically, sometimes spiritually.

What is fear? I’ve heard it defined as:

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

In reality, there are no “what-ifs” in God’s Kingdom.

- My rushed mornings produced by a faulty alarm clock, unknowingly make me a little jumpy each time I set my new one.

-Past relationship hurts that have left bruises, still prove tender to the touch and cause us to jump at what seems like nothing.

-Sights, smells, tastes, anniversaries, can all raise up old feelings and when mixed with the realities of today, can leave us feeling anxious, depressed or just “on edge”.

What I heard God whisper to my sleepy brain was this: Trust me. I am enough. I know the alarm has failed you before, but I never will. I have been afraid long enough that I’m not crossing all my t’s and dotting all my i’s as a good enough Christian. I have tried to keep offering sacrifice after sacrifice for my shortcomings and failures-past, present, and future – when Jesus has paid it all. Once and for all He is enough. He is enough for all of me – and enough for all of you.

I know people can hurt and leave us wounded, but Christ never will. It’s hard to wrap our brain around that and totally let our guard down. That is what I celebrate this Resurrection Day! I pray you too, will trust Him, even when life jolts you out of bed and you think you still need to do more. The Father’s power demonstrated when He raised Christ from the dead lives inside each of us who call on the name of Jesus to be saved. Yes, that is enough!

"Death is swallowed up in victory"
"O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?"
The sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(1 Corinthians 15:54-57)

A song to tie it all together is Casting Crowns, Wedding Day


Putting it In Our Own Words,

~Julie

1 comment: