Friday, November 28, 2014

Mombasa...Thanksgiving...Welcome to RECIPES!!

OK, so WELCOME to the FUN section of my blog!! I LOVE to eat, have people over to EAT, cook to EAT and create memories around, yes, EATING! Recently, on our last trip to Kenya, the team brought to my attention that I was mostly taking pictures like these... 










Yes, of food....and FUTURE FOOD!! Squid = calamarie; Crab= crabcakes; Prawn (shrimp) = fried or in soup. You get the idea! I sent my mom an instant message of one of these pictures at noon Mombasa time thinking she'd get it upon arising (it was 3am her time!). But, she actually was up and heard her phone ding. Thinking it was some emergency, swiped open the message, only to find it was her daughter excited about the amazing dinner she ate the night before! So whether it's gigantic avocados that grow this way without growth hormones or Kenya-style sushi, this section of In Our Own Words holds some fabulous pictures of great tasting food and recipes so you can enjoy them too. 








My favorite holiday, I know you'll be surprised, is Thanksgiving. Food, families, friends and fellowship - it's Heavenly. Truly! One day, when calories don't count and our stomachs don't ache, we will fellowship without hindrance at the King's table. But for now, here on Earth, Thanksgiving is as good as it gets for me. Especially when my sweet daughter Mackenzie decorates the table like this....!










And my sons, instead of chocolate meringue pie, create these "turtles" :) Which if you know my boys, an actual turtle would not be far off...!









But THIS, my friends, is the award-winning recipe of Thanksgiving! Pineapple Bread Casserole. Mmmmm, amazing! Keep scrolling to see the recipe at the bottom of the page.





Drum Roll Please....



Yep, Zach gives it all a "thumbs up"!




However, Friday morning, this is the view of my kitchen. This place that held constant activity and appliance use the past few days, is still and quiet. I just wanted to soak it all in. Smoked turkey still hung in the air, the morning sun glittering through the window, leftovers still on my tongue, I am so thankful. What for? That I am Redeemed! 




Sometimes, even after an eventful, excited holiday like Thanksgiving, we can be left feeling , like this kitchen, EMPTY, even though our stomachs are full. I pray that you would know, dear friend, there is a FRIEND who sticks closer than a brother. That person is Jesus. He sees you. He knows you. He knows your struggles (maybe it's food related). He knows your joys (maybe it's food related) . He knows your heartaches (and food-related stomach aches). Let me say to you He wants to REDEEM that. Trust Him...know Him!


And who wants a new Recipe?!

Pineapple Casserole

1 12oz can crushed pineapple with juice
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1/2 maple syrup
6 slices of bread 
1/2 cup milk
3 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
cinnamon (sprinkle on top)

In large bowl, mix melted butter and maple syrup well. In another bowl, stir eggs with a fork, add in milk, then pour over butter mixture. Cut the bread into cubes and place in 2 qt baking dish. Pour mixture over bread crumbs. Add pineapple with juice and stir well. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Could make a double portion as well! Enjoy!

Putting it In Our Own Words,

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment