Monday, March 25, 2013

Kindness and the Burrito Kid!

We finally have a snuggler in our family. It took 3 took get one, but we'll take him! Little Zach loves to be held, sit in my lap, or get under a blanket with a Curious George book and just snuggle. If he wakes up early enough, he will stumble into our room, all bleary-eyed, shaggy doggy in one arm and an angry bird tasseled toboggan on his head. He crawls up into the bed, repositions the covers just right to turn himself into a burrito and snuggles into a space carved out for him. With a big grin, sometimes he'll say, "Mommy, I just love you!" Ahh, it's a beautiful picture. Even though the moment can also can be followed up by screaming minutes later, due to some simple annoyance, I still cherish those words. He's also been known to throw that line out when I offer him some warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies, or other favorite snack at just the right time. "I just love you Mommy!" Whatever the reason, this is a fact: Momma's always love to hear their little ones say "I love you".

I believe Jesus also loves to hear us say "I love you." During a meal at Simon the Leper's house, while the teachers and chief priests were anxiously digging up any reason to arrest Jesus, we find a beautiful story of love nestled amongst the commotion. We have Jesus, reclining at the table, probably surrounded by men, when their conversations is interrupted by a woman. Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazaraus, comes in and breaks an alabaster jar of pure nard and pours it over Jesus' head. Can you imagine what the room, previously filled with the aroma of sweaty, dirty men, would smell like now? Well as the smell of lilies penetrates through their senses, the men's indignant voices scream out at the unashamed act of pure love and devotion. I imagine Mary blushing, embarrassed  not meaning to make a scene, just expressing her love to Jesus, when Jesus quickly silences them, "Leave her alone," he says. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me." (Mark 14:6) Before He was to pour out His love for us on the cross, Mary of Bethany poured out a year's worth of wages on Jesus. "I just love you, Jesus," she said. And her deed did not go un-repaid. To this day, we are still reading about it "wherever the gospel is preached." It meant something to Him.

"I just love you" comes without strings, "buts," or lists attached. Just pure unconditional love, as Jesus has for us. As Zach displays to me. I'm challenged to love Jesus like that today ~ I think those around me will appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post, for the first time I paralleled the men's response to Mary's singular devotion to Jesus with Mary's sister Martha's. She too was indignant as Mary sat at Jesus' feet while she labored in the kitchen. Yet, here too Jesus champions Mary's choice. In fact Jesus says, "...only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
    Yes, may we seek the "one thing" and gain our Lord's approval, not people's.

    ReplyDelete